Wednesday, October 29, 2008

VA Experiences

Having the opportunity to work on patients at the VA has been very beneficial to me. I find that the environment is what I envision the real world to be like, in a way. The staff to work with is incredible and our instructor is as fair as the day is long! I find that learning under Professor Hanson has been an incredible experience that has proven to be extremely helpful in learning instrument techniques and professional patient interaction. She has been an immense boost in self-confidence for me. Though she will push for an increase in speed and efficiency, she still leaves you with a feeling that she is approachable and a student advocate! I have had patients that have left me discouraged at my lack of knowledge of how to get the cement off their teeth and watch her come up and with the flick of her wrist, show me how to pop it off, leaving me with clinician envy.
So far, the patients that I have worked on have been a delight, pulled at my heartstrings, or have been extremely patient with me as I have struggled to improve my techniques. I have enjoyed working with each one. I have left the VA each time exhausted, but satisfied that I did a little better that day than I did the time before.

No comments: