Thursday, October 9, 2008

Exhausted!

Today I had a class IV patient. She was a diabetic and had quite a bit of perio. She also had a lot of malocclusion so it made taking a FMX challenging. I was able to make it through the OD. This afternoon I had a class II, which shouldn't be that difficult. He was a diabetic as well but stated that he was a type 1 diabetic, but was not on insulin. I had to do a physician's consult. It was then learned that he was a type 2 diabetic. We took his blood sugar in that he said that he had not tested his sugar since yesterday as he had run out of supplies to prick his finger. I was only able to get 2 quads done. The calculus was like cement on the UR molars. I had not seen 2 molars cemented together like the mandibular anteriors. Interesting experience.

2 comments:

darikamurphy-off campus student said...

Hi, my name is Darika Murphy. I am an off campus Weber student earning my bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene. I earned my A.S. in dental hygiene from Salt Lake Community College ’07 and am working full time as a dental hygienist in the Salt Lake Valley. You did a good job checking his diabetic status:) I would love to provide you with any feedback or questions you have (hygiene school experience, board exams, after graduation work experience, etc.) Hope to hear from you!

Kami said...

Where are your VA posts? I was interested in your thoughts in that environment. I think you do well Vicki, I have enjoyed you at the Va.